Questions about Volunteering?
Contact our Volunteer Coordinator Angelica Cruz
New Classroom/Field Trip Volunteer Procedures
The Highline School District recently amended the Parent and Community Volunteer Clearance Procedures. Below are some highlights:
- All volunteers must fill out a Volunteer Application and Disclosure Form each school year. See Link below, or get one from the Marvista office.
- Once your application has been completed, return it to the Marvista office (please note: a completed application includes an attached copy of your driver’s license). The sponsoring teacher and the principal will then complete and sign the top portion of the form and send it on to the district’s HR department.
- The entire volunteer clearance process takes about two weeks to complete. If you are planning to chaperone a field trip, please take this timeline into consideration. You will receive a letter from the Highline Public Schools when you have been approved to Volunteer at Marvista Elementary. Marvista will also receive a copy of that letter.
- Currently, we believe that volunteers who need to be fingerprinted (see below) will only have to do this one time. We are in the process of confirming this. However, all volunteers must fill out the Volunteer Application and Disclosure Form each year and be cleared through the WATCH background check process.
When does a volunteer need to be fingerprinted?
- Anyone chaperoning a field trip.
- Anyone working alone with a child at any time.
- Anyone who will be monitoring children on the playground or anywhere else on campus outside the classroom.
- The only volunteers who will not need to be fingerprinted are those working exclusively in the classroom under a teacher’s supervision. We recommend that all of our volunteers be fingerprinted to allow for flexibility in the volunteer opportunities available to them.